Wednesday, October 1, 2008

The Skinny on Mom

Today after second day Rosh Ha Shanah service, the choir planned to eat its annual dinner at Marie Callendar. I've brought my parents for the past two years, and they enjoyed it, or at least my dad did. He couldn't wait to get there and see everyone and dig in. They've got PIE, and that makes my dad doubly happy! The restaurant even provides a piece of sugarless apple pie for diabetics like him!
But when I zoomed over after the service to pick them up, my mom, predictably, was dressed inappropriately. It was 105 degrees in Irvine and she had winter pants and a long sleeved silk shirt on. I changed her to something cooler, but she grumbled all the while that everything was too big and she didn't want to go anyhow, that I was forcing her to go and made plans without consulting her. I felt a little bad at that because I hadn't consulted her; she doesn't hear anyhow, and always misconstrues what I say, so I spoke to my dad and he said yes. I just assumed that whereever he was, she'd want to be.
So when she went to the bathroom for the third time and dilly-dallied and complained, I just finally said she didn't have to go, and I would take dad. She could stay home the way she wanted.
When I came back after lunch with dad and brought her a piece of pie, she said that she had wanted to go after all, and I shouldn't have left her home! She was in bed, at 3:00 in the afternoon!
Next time I will simply take her and be cheerfully deaf to her complaints, as I have in the past.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you'd taken your mom in her heavy clothes, she'd have complained she was hot. If you'd taken her in the cooler clothes, she'd have accused you of forcing her. By leaving her home, you and your dad enjoyed dinner out. Remember, she is very ill and not reasonable. You did the right thing!

Robbi N. said...

You're right that she's ill, but I simply lost my patience with her. I should assume she's like a little kid. Once little kids get where they're going, they're usually interested in it. It's just the transition from whatever they were doing to that that bothers them. When Jeremy was little, I had to do that all the time.