Sunday, October 5, 2008

Musical Interlude

Today made up for the difficulties yesterday presented. After a wonderful morning of yoga, I went to Muzeo with Richard to a concert by Ladysmith Black Mombaza, a black South African musical group. They were wonderful, so charming and gifted. Their 15 or so voices sounded like 100 because of the harmonies, and their choriography was fascinating. We couldn't help thinking of the 60s soul groups, like the 4 Tops and the Tempations. Some of the music reminded us of that too, but of course, the influence goes both ways, undoubtedly, though their music and movements are in large part from traditional Xhosa culture, I think.
There was also a fabulous opening act, a drum group that was just as good as the main course. What a terrific time! It buoyed my spirits for sure.
We tried to go eat Middle Eastern food nearby, but the restaurant I had scoped out on OC Weekly was closed. Too bad.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

4 Tops and the Temptations, that is considered what is now called old school music &RB. That is my favorite music!!! The Motown days in the 70s had and still has the best music. I have the 4tops cassette in my car. I would have enjoyed that outing. Gald to hear your husband took you out.I saw the 4 Tops 2 years a go at the fair grounds, they can stil move!

Beth

Anonymous said...

I know that you struggle with your parents and with your son, but sometimes you describe the most interesting outings. I am so glad you get to do these things!

Robbi N. said...

Lou,
I didn't take my parents to this one. My mom is racist, so I didn't see the point. Also, she is deaf. My dad would have enjoyed it though. But Richard and I had a great time.
Beth,
I love that music too!