Thursday, October 16, 2008

Days Getting Shorter, Patience Too

Every year this time, as my birthday approaches, the time change comes closer as well, cutting the corners off the edges of each day, making the mornings darker and the evenings earlier. In response, I feel more tired and more stressed, and the work in my classes intensifies, combining to create a feeling that leads sometimes to 24 hour bugs or colds.
This year is no exception, particularly as the unending considerations of caring for my parents stretch on into their 4th year. There is always something I should have done, should have thought of, someone I should have called, appointments that need making, like the unending work of mending socks (if I did such stuff, which I don't).
I get weary, and perhaps that is why I am conveniently forgetting to take my cellphone with me or to charge it. But sometimes that works to my disadvantage, so I had better stop doing it. I may be unreachable, but that doesn't mean that something won't be waiting for me when I get home from wherever I was, and that whatever it is might be even more urgent by the time I know about it.
Better get that flu shot!
When I got home today, my son was lying, paper white, on the couch, breathing heavily. He clearly had gotten the stomach bug that has been going around school (evidently around his school as well). He had to turn in an essay today in English class, so I talked him into letting me go turn it in for him, though he was sure I would never find the classroom. He underestimated the many times I have had to locate my own classrooms at the beginning of semesters. I found it with no trouble at all, something that isn't surprising considering the campus has all of about 3 buildings.
By the time I got home, after going to the hairdresser, he was up and turning in his outline on Turnitin.com. Shortly after that, he went to spend the night with his friend since the school week is over for him.
I hope I don't hear from him in the middle of the night, sick and wanting to be picked up, unable to drive. Maybe I'll unplug the phone.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Anymore marijuana incidents? How are the parents this week?


Beth

Robbi N. said...

No. I haven't seen that much of him.
My mom is okay, according to the doc, but she lost two pounds this past week and is very confused.
My dad's back hurts because he refuses to quit bending down to garden.

Robbi N. said...

He's happy about the Phillies though!

Anonymous said...

Good for your dad! I'd refuse to quit gardening, too, and he may have trouble on his knees (if not, maybe he needs a really good kneeler.)

I'm bugprone, and this year I'm trying rebounding, said to be good for the immune system...

Robbi N. said...

He shouldn't kneel at all; he can barely walk, never mind kneel. That's why I didn't buy him a kneeler.
What's rebounding?