Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Apply or Not?

I am pondering whether I should apply for a poetry job at UC San Diego. While I don't truly believe I have much of a chance, something tells me (notably, my therapist) that I ought to try anyhow. What do I have to lose, except for some time? I will have to ask friends, such as Lou and Reb, to write me recommendations. I hate to bother them, and hope that they don't mind. It is odd because San Diego is one of those places I have always thought it might be nice to live. I love the zoo, and I could spend more time there if I lived close by. Well it's worth a try.

4 comments:

Michele said...

I say go for it!!! You are a talented writer and you deserve it!

Robbi N. said...

Thanks Michele. In any case, I can say I tried.

Rebel Girl said...

This veteran of many hiring committees just wants to suggest that you look closely at the job description - and I say this as one who often peruses the job anncouncements looking for something that may suit my fellow. San Diego seems to be looking for someone who already holds a tenure track position, with experience editing literary journals and yes - that publication record.

I don't mean to sound discouraging - but I know that putting together an application requires a lot of work too.

Robbi N. said...

You're right Reb, and this might keep me from applying for any of those jobs I've seen advertised, but I happen to know of situations where someone without any of those things was potentially being considered for a UCI position of a similar sort. So I know that if the person's work is admired, some of those things can go by the wayside.
Initially, I thought it was ridiculous for me to think of a UC position at all, at the tenure track level, and possibly I was correct. I should probably be applying, if at all, to a liberal arts college or smaller university position elsewhere that isn't so prestigious.