Sunday, October 24, 2010

More Theatergoing

Last night, inspired by our foray to Peter Pan, Liz, Richard, and I went to see Bell, Book, and Candle at the Mysterium, affiliated loosely with Cal State Fullerton's theater department. Tickets for their shows are available cheap cheap! on Goldstar, and the theater has moved quite close to home for us, right across the street from Foothill High School, where it shares digs with a church.
Despite a gas leak that gave me, always paranoid, a bit of a start, we settled in to the church/little theater, seated comfortably on pews, and wondering at the circular holders in the book-holders beneath the seats. I guess they're for candles. Synagogues are set up quite differently, of course, so I'm not sure.
I know and love the film with Kim Novak and Jimmy Stewart, so I was looking forward to this show. It didn't disappoint, though the guy playing Shep, the male lead, played originally by Jimmy Stewart, did shake his jowls and pop his eyes a bit too much, in an effort to imitate Stewart. But the woman who played Gillian was terrific, despite, or perhaps because, she was nothing like Novak, but rather a flaming redhead. The costumes were wonderful, and the cat, Nitro, in the part of Pyewacket, was amazing! I was wondering how they got a cat to have such a wonderfully wise expression, as if he really did know plenty we mere mortals didn't, and how he could be so calm. My cats would have been halfway up the aisle and climbing the curtains before the first act was up, or chasing bits of fluff around the stage. This fellow sat like a king in the actress's arms, with only a lead needed to restrain him.
Earlier in the evening, we ate a magnificent meal at Naan and Kabob, in Tustin, and so we lacked for nothing. Great evening!

1 comment:

Lou said...

I know you love live performance, so I am so glad you are getting to see these plays.