Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Morning Dreams

My cats are still waking me up in the wee hours to feed them, unable to make it the couple more hours until the alarm rings. I spend 5 minutes or so squatting on the dingy carpet, waiting for them to finish eating, and when I go back to bed, cannot, for a long time, get back to sleep. But when I do, I have novelistic, narrative-rich dreams that seem to go on and on, until the cats, impatient for breakfast, swat me in the face at 6:00 or so. Sometimes I drift back off till 6:15, but the flow is broken. I only in patches remember these dreams, which have multiple characters, lurid costumes, blood and gore, and whatever other cheap thrills you can imagine. Perhaps it is because I have not been reading much except student papers and an occasional yoga book and emails, lots of emails, that I am having these dreams? I don't know. But I sort of like them, and they make me feel rested, so that's good.

2 comments:

Lou said...

What a restless few hours. I am glad you feel you get some rest in this way.

Robbi N. said...

I guess I just need to dream.