Saturday, July 12, 2008

Back to the kitchen

Today is R's birthday, a fact he tries to ignore, forbidding any parties or celebration, on pain of pouting. I usually ignore this dictum because it seems to me so silly. Though I have not in fact thrown a party for him in some time (I remember one time I surprised him with a beach party, lugging numerous chairs and food to the beach without a car, somehow), but I do usually get him some kind of gift. Today I got him one of those old-fashioned looking multi-media music centers because he likes to transfer his old LPs to tape, and now needs to transfer them to CD. Although the computer has a CD writer, he doesn't have a turntable. This machine I bought him has a turntable, CD writer and player, tape player, AM FM radio and port for an MP3 player. It was not cheap, but I had a coupon that yielded quite a good discount--maybe 30%--off the $200. price, a price that was much lower than that for comparable machines I had seen elsewhere. So he reluctantly said he liked it and thought it was a thoughtful gift, though he made me promise not to buy him anymore gifts for a whole year.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That IS a thoughtful gift--good for you!

Robbi N. said...

I suppose I ought to just forget buying him gifts if he really doesn't want them, but I don't really believe him. I think it's depression.

Anonymous said...

Ditto Lou. Alot of people get emotional and depressed on Birthdays, I did!!! I do not know why? Robbi, it was very thoughtful of you to make sure Richard had a gift. I am sure he loved the gift but, knew the families monies is tight. Your heart is huge!


beth

Anonymous said...

Where is my comment? I left one earliar.

Beth

Robbi N. said...

Thanks Beth. He seemed to enjoy the gift, but made me promise not to buy anymore till next year... no Chanukah or Father's Day or anything else gifts.