Tuesday, July 15, 2008

J grows up, a continuing saga

Jeremy has gone completely off all of his medication. He has wanted to do this for some time, insisting that it doesn't do anything anymore. It seems as though he may have been right. Since he has been off of it, he has not been any worse as far as his ticcing, obsessions, or behavior are concerned, as far as I know. The only thing I have noticed, and this may have nothing to do with meds, is that he runs around like crazy, a 360 degree turn around from his old, homebody self. He insists he only stayed home like that because of school and baseball, and that once school starts again, he will be staying home a lot more, but I doubt it. College can be a real trap for kids who like to party. He'll be meeting all these new people and there will be old friends there too.
I am not liking the way he approaches college, which he insists will be no different from any other school he has ever attended. I will try not to panic and just let things unfold the way they do, unless he asks me specifically for help or advice, which I expect he will not do.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does he have a curfew?

Beth

Anonymous said...

Scary time, this business of having an "adult" child living at home and going to college. My older daughter started off at IVC, lasted a semester, and dropped out. She was sick of school and had been since middle school. I held my breath because if any kid ever needed college, it was her. She stayed out for a year, and when she went back, it was to Santa Ana, downtown, where she could get the Spanish lit classes she wanted. She transferred to UCI, and stopped at ABD because she was pregnant with my grandson. That all seems so long ago now, and I hope for you a future when these fears you have now will be far behind you.

Robbi N. said...

Beth,
He doesn't have a specific curfew, but he has to call us and tell us exactly where he plans to go and approximately when he is coming home. He does that faithfully, even if it means waking us up when he gets out of work at midnight.
Thanks Lou for your good wishes. It is scary letting go, especially when your kid has a history of needing more help than other kids his age, but then you would know about that, wouldn't you?