Sunday, July 27, 2008

The movies have failed me.

I love to go to the movies, and given the choice, would do it nearly every day, maybe more than once a day (if I could afford it). But this summer, the choice has been sparse, despite the numerous theaters near me. The same old thing, squared. Just as I was getting excited about a new film, Boy A, and saw it listed at a local art theater, I checked again and saw that with the new Friday schedules, it had been eliminated, just when I was getting set to get into the car and go see it! I ended up not going to the movies at all. Feh. I'm getting tired of Regal theaters doing this to me. It's happened several times in the last year! I should complain. Who has the energy?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, I hear your frustration. I love going to the movies, too, but I rarely go at all anymore. The prices are grand theft, the audience is too often composed of rude people, and I feel like I am gambling on movies that are likely to disappointment me. Instead, I use Cox OnDemand, and others in my house rent movies. I have a small collection of good films, but how many times can I watch "Chinatown"? :-)

On 4th of July weekend, I took my grandchildren to see Wall-e, and Rosie, the 6-year-old, asked if we were going to get our snacks IN the movie. When I said yes, she was delighted. Her mom takes her to dollar movies and carries a bag of cookies in her purse because she's a careful budgeter. But for the kids, I splurge.

Robbi N. said...

My son watches movies on Cox, but the ones I want to see are generally not there. I like the little indie films, the obscure ones. When I hear about one on the radio or in the newspaper, I eagerly check to see whether it is playing locally. All too often it was playing, but is snatched away before I can get to it.
I taught Chinatown so many times, I don't think I could stand to watch it again for a while.

Robbi N. said...

By the way, did you like Wall-e? Is it worth going to see?
And have you ever been to the dollar movies? That's fun. Though as I told you once, my dad got locked in a bathroom stall, and no one in there would help him. I had to go in the men's room, crawl under the stall door, and rescue him. We haven't gone back there together and never will, though I will go with my friends and by myself, most likely.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I liked Wall-e for the lines and perspectives aimed at adults. Its setting is dystopian, and the ending is hopeful. The kids loved it and came away singing the songs. About halfway in, I wondered if we were EVER going to leave earth!

Robbi N. said...

Maybe I'll go and see it.