Friday, July 25, 2008

Friday

ARRGH. I wrote a post and forgot to publish it, so now I have to do it again.
Today is Friday, and it's summer, so I am happy. On Fridays I go to yoga, which is not unusual because I do it almost every day, usually in the morning, and then I went to the farmer's market at Laguna Hills Mall parking lot, where I bought white and yellow peaches, green beans, baby yellow squash (almost bought the blossoms, but I didn't want to fry or stuff them, so decided not to), and my favorite, a pound of beautiful John Dory fillet. It looks rather like flounder, but the flounder out here is gross and gelatinous, not like back east. This stuff looks firm, and I hope it stays firm when I cook it, which I plan to do in brown butter with almonds. I will serve the yellow squash roasted on the side. Maybe I can find a picture of john dory to assuage your visual senses, since I am such an unreliable and inept photographer.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope the fish and squash were delicious--they surely sound wonderful. That photo of a JD looks like a satire!

Robbi N. said...

They were delicious, and went nicely with the mushroom risotto (boxed, from TJs) I served with them. Even Jeremy gobbled them up.
JD is the real deal! There are a lot of strange fish in the sea.

Rebel Girl said...

Hey - that's MY farmer's market!

I miss it so - I always buy John Dory from Lisa the fish monger there - it's Louis' favorite fish - and tomatoes from the man in the big hat.

see you soon!

Robbi N. said...

Hi Lisa! Glad to read Squaw Valley is doing well. I actually wish I could go too.
Why can't you go to that Farmer's Market (or another one) anymore?
Yesterday I went to the one across the street from Target near Jamboree in Irvine and got escolar (butterfish). Despite the warning that it might have "a mild laxative effect," things went well, and it was delicious.
I fixed it with those same spices, butter, green herbed olives, and pasta. Delicious!

Robbi N. said...

Oh dumb me! You must mean that you can't go to the market because you are out of town!