Friday, December 18, 2009

More Stuff To Do

I ran out my anxiety medication today, which given the tasks before me, is not a good thing. I just got back from yoga, which helped, and grocery shopping, which was okay, until I was faced with the enormous task of packing the stuff I bought into the over-full fridge and freezer. That always puts me on edge. And now I'm avoiding some of the tasks, like grading, that I have to do. This evening, one of the choir, an 83 year old with advanced memory problems (who is nonetheless still singing, dressing beautifully, driving, and taking cruises with his wife), is going to go up on the bimah (the stage at synagogue) and read part of the Torah, a sort of second bar mitzvah, since in Jewish tradition, 13 is the age for the first synagogue and then 70 is a lifetime. If you live to 83, you're entitled to a second bar or bat mitzvah!
We will celebrate together at the California Pizza Kitchen and then go sing at synagogue. We haven't practiced the song in a while. I'm trying not to get anxious.

6 comments:

Rebel Girl said...

Let's all aim for 83!

(pine cone)

Robbi N. said...

Absolutely!

Lou said...

Forgive me, but I don't want to live to be anything even near 83!

Robbi N. said...

For some people, 83 is quite hale and hearty. Mr. Iyengar is 91, and he stands on his head for an hour, teaches yoga classes all day, and still writes books.

Rebel Girl said...

My father's 83 and sprinting around in his sports car with Russian girlfriend who was born the same year I was...then again, that might make Lou's point.

Robbi N. said...

Reb,
I don't know what happened to your comment, which I liked a lot, but I think more power to your dad. He is out enjoying himself at 83. After all, he's still alive.