Monday, January 18, 2010

Another anthology

I just heard today about another anthology called the list. It is made up of poems that include 6 words chosen by guest editors. The words are Anteros (the god of thwarted love, brother of Eros), crippled, spindles, stairwell, threshold, and whirligig. I have always liked such exercises, though these words did not strike me as particularly promising. But I did write a poem. You will find it below.

Anteros
In the bad dream you keep having,
a spare stranger stands at the threshold
bearing news you would rather not hear.
He leans on a stick, crippled leg twisted,
peering like a falcon into the room.
Around the edge of his crumpled
raincoat, a bit of bright wing
protrudes. At the sight, all
the spindles stop turning.
The whirligigs cease their merry clatter.
The stairwells echo your empty howl.

2 comments:

liz said...

I meant to tell you how much I liked this right after I read it the first time. Seems I spiral down with same delicious unease each time I read it. nice :{

Robbi N. said...

Thanks Liz. Are you coming to the movie on Saturday night???