Sunday, January 17, 2010

A Challenge

Yesterday or perhaps the day before an email arrived in my mailbox, announcing a call for submissions. An anthology about childhood reading experiences is asking for essays, stories, or poems about that subject. I am working on an essay, but how about some of you folks? I'll put a link up, and you can send in your own work. If you do though, I'd love to see it too.
It's for an anthology called Flashlight Moments. Read more at
http://silverboomerbooks.com/submissions.html
This morning I went to the first film in the Jewish film festival, an Israeli comedy called A Matter of Size. It was a character study of five overweight people--4 men and 1 woman--who decide to give up fruitless dieting and become sumo wrestlers. In the process, they find strength and dignity and, predictably, empowerment.
It was a very sweet and funny film. If you can rent it, I recommend it, even though I find it a bit baffling to learn that it won 3 Israeli academy awards, and was nominated for even more. It's a small country, I guess.

No comments: