Tuesday, August 10, 2010

More Clearing Out

Today is the last day of 2nd summer session for me. I'll walk over to school for what I assume will be a very busy day, though yesterday was only half busy. Then this evening is the last Torah session before the hiatus till after the holidays, which will be upon us soon enough. We're through our first go-round of the Torah and will be reading Ecclesiastes after the break.
I decided to make another pass at the stuff in the spare room. Today I found some of mom's jewelry, though not of course the rings, a wooden painted brooch, some Italian clip on earrings (beautiful, but I have pierced ears), my dad's dog tags and wings, his uniform and Air Force portrait, and Isaac Rosenberg books my mother had collected.
In case you don't know or have forgotten, Rosenberg was my great-uncle, my mom's uncle. He was a famous WWI poet and artist, killed at age 26 in the trenches. Though Pound denigrated Rosenberg by calling him "that little Jew," he also published his most anthologized poem, "Break of Day in the Trenches" in Poetry Magazine, and made it famous.
There is lots more to go, but not today.

2 comments:

Lou said...

You could have the earrings made into posts for pierced ears; then you could wear them.

Robbi N. said...

Yes. There are two pair of them, and it just so happens I will be going to the bead store this Friday in Laguna to fix some other jewelry. That's a good time to fix these too.