Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Second Day of Class

Today class begins in earnest. I hope this new curriculum works better than the last one I did, on adaptation from literature to film. The one thing I am apprehensive about is relying on the students to watch the film A CLockwork Orange themselves, since it is just shy of 3 hours long--too long to show in class because it would take up a whole week, more or less. I also hope I can prove my colleague wrong and make it comprehensible to the students, so that they can write about it without too much pain. Starting a class with a film, especially one like this one, is something I've never really done before, though last spring a short film wasn't too bad for the first paper. Judging from the diagnostics, there are some folks with serious reading issues, or maybe they didn't bother to read it at all. These people are going to struggle with whatever I give them, most likely.