Wednesday, November 10, 2010

New Gig

Next semester, in addition to teaching at the college, working on the same course I've tested this semester, I'll be teaching it also at a satellite campus of Cal State Fullerton. I have to thank Lou and my other friends at the college for writing recommendations for me.
I'm a little nervous. This is the closest to full time I've been in a very long time, teaching three classes in the research paper. It will be a lot of work, a lot of grading, a lot of conferences. Of course, at the college, there is nowhere to conference my students to speak of. At the library people get annoyed when I discuss their papers with them. The one room available to do that is always occupied.
I don't know whether things will be different at the University. I know I could arrange to meet them at coffee houses. There is a nice coffee house near the college. Though I once did an open mic there that was a nightmare, it would be a good place to see my students, and I'm sure they wouldn't mind, especially if I ordered an occasional tea and muffin. I think the U's new campus is near the Spectrum. There are enough places to sit around there, in addition to places that are probably on the campus itself. I haven't gone there yet.
I took on the task not for its own sake but because I wanted to get a foot in the door at the University in hopes of being assigned more varied sorts of classes--lit classes, poetry workshops, etc. Though going up to Fullerton would be hard, for one who doesn't drive on freeways particularly, I'd do it for that opportunity. A workshop would likely be only 4 hours on one day, as it is usually taught. That would be relatively simple. Lit classes may be taught at the satellite too. So we'll see.
Now that I don't have excuses, it is time for me to branch out.

5 comments:

Robin said...

Congratulations, Robbi! It sounds like an exciting opportunity! Teaching in another location opens so many doors, and it will probably lead you to new classes (hopefully the Lit and Poetry classes you want), new friends and great new experiences! I am so happy for you!

marly youmans said...

Congratulations, Robbi! It seems a good opportunity... I can't fathom there being no place to meet, though!

Robbi N. said...

Thanks guys. I'm sure it will bring new things and new people my way, not to mention upperclassmen as students, though I understand they haven't changed much in the interim.

Lou said...

CSUF in Irvine is on Trabuco on the grounds of what used to be the El Toro MCAS. I am glad you found work there!

Robbi N. said...

Lou,
It isn't there anymore. Wish it were; I could almost walk there! It has moved near the Spectrum.