Tuesday, November 16, 2010

What ABOUT THanksgiving?

I just read blog-sister Lou's wisdom on the holiday of Thanksgiving. She amazes me with her energy and the way she pours love into the meals she makes, even if it is just the three of them at home; when her daughter, son-in-law, and grandchildren come to stay, she really goes to town, and sounds like she is doing that next Thursday too. No surprise.
A few days ago, J surprised me by saying when I asked him to come to dinner on Thanksgiving that HE and his roommates would fix dinner for us at his apartment, which I have not yet visited, though he has told me to drop by any time. Knowing that he does not like to make appointments, and in my strictly scheduled life, there is no other way of doing things, I have never made it over there, and I wondered how the spontaneous kid would ever in a million years manage Thanksgiving dinner, particularly since he refused to allow me to teach him the rudiments of cooking. Not surprisingly, yesterday, he said forget it. He is going to work, for double-time at the market. R and I are on our own. It makes me feel sad because I will miss him and of course my parents. Last year's Thanksgiving dinner saved my mother's life, giving her another half a year of life, I believe, before she stopped eating for good. It is up to me to get excited and overcome the fact that I will have papers to grade, most likely, and do this thing up right, if somewhat simply, for R and me. He isn't crazy about turkey, but I love it. I could make a very small turkey breast or buy that Trader Joe's half a turkey and make a vegetarian dish that he would prefer. I'll ask him what he wants.

6 comments:

Robin said...

Sometimes an intimate Thanksgiving can be really nice! The one time I made a Thanksgiving dinner for two turned out to be a really great time. And we were able to scale down the cooking to more manageable levels--like buying a Turkey breast instead of a whole turkey, etc.

Lou said...

I can understand the impulse of the idea of the roommates entertaining their parents for Thanksgiving--but in the light of day, well, that's pretty overwhelming. Sweet, though.

Robbi N. said...

I can do that, Robin. But I will miss the company! Maybe I could find out what time Jeremy will be off of work and wait for him?
You're right Lou. I thought that he and his roommates would buy a Ralph's pre-cooked meal, and I'd make all the sides and dessert. That was okay with me.

Anonymous said...

My son works that day until 4:30. I will have dinner ready for us at 5:00.

Beth

Robbi N. said...

Jeremy is not good about knowing his hours, even a week ahead. I cannot get him to tell me a time.

marly youmans said...

Yes, I bet he would like to eat Turkey-day feasts! Even if he would rather not make them quite yet...