Thursday, November 11, 2010

Students

I offended a student yesterday by using his paper anonymously as an example of an approach that would not work. He was so upset, he left class early. I told him later that he was not the only one with this particular problem of not writing an argument or using research. Though this is supposed to be a research argument that persuades an audience, I see very little of either go on. Again, it is something we have been talking about and practicing all semester, but once they are immersed in their research and take a side, they forget all about the necessity of argument or persuading a reader. It is frustrating to me, but I guess to be expected. This morning I will see that student individually, and I hope he is less indignant now about my using his paper.

1 comment:

Rebel Girl said...

I often use student papers as examples in class but try and use work from past semesters, with permission obtained in advance.

When I use work from the current semester, I try and find examples of success - and again, ask in advance when possible.

It's tricky, using examples of failure.

Sometimes I DO put together my grammar exercises based upon examples gleaned from the drafts of current students - but I put them together without attribution and aim for wide representation so no one student feels singled out.

I hope it works out with the student. Good luck.