Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Old Friend Remet

My friend called me while we were at the movie. I called her, but she was out. After a brief game of phone tag, I had a long conversation with her on the phone. Funny how her voice hasn't changed. Mine probably hasn't either. And we still remembered the moments, the code words for years spent together as children and young adults before we went in our own directions.
It brought back those times for me, and she was one of the only bright spots in those years. Her family house became a sanctuary for me when the craziness of my own overwhelmed me, and her mother's sensible advice a touchstone.
Now her house, she says, has become that sanctuary for her own daughter's friends. She has taken on the mantle her mother once wore. I'm not surprised.

No comments: