Sunday, July 11, 2010

Riding the train

Richard likes trains. It is, in fact, one of the few things he always enjoys, outside of golf, playing the harmonica, walking, and eating breakfast and Cajun food. So I often avail myself of this suggestion when his birthday or other occasions come around. His birthday is tomorrow, and he is not very receptive to gifts or parties, so I suggested going to San Juan Capistrano on the train and eating breakfast there. A friend from yoga suggested the restaurant in the train station, but when I did some poking around, I found a local joint, about half a mile away perhaps, that served a nice breakfast for a much better price. Since breakfast, more or less, is breakfast, as far as I am concerned, and I don't see paying an enormous price for it, we did just that. It took time and effort to find the place, and we ended up walking more like 2 miles to find it, of course initially choosing the wrong direction to go in (he wouldn't take the GPS, and since it was his birthday, I humored him). What the hey! We found it eventually, and enjoyed our breakfast. However, we found that the town has fallen on hard times. Many of the little stores are closed, and the one place I was looking for, a food-themed gift store where that friend from yoga had bought bagel and lox earrings, was nowhere to be found. We didn't find much of interest. Neither of us are into antiques or most of the stuff for sale there. I did find a darling garden store that sells all one needs to fix miniature gardens. I plan to go back when I have a gift to get for someone. I'll make a garden or two then, maybe with a tiny hoe, rake, or some other little trinket in them.

5 comments:

Marly Youmans said...

So how about the train ride? Good?

Robbi N. said...

The train ride was good, though very short (18 minutes). A lot of money ($38) for that!

Lou said...

What a thoughtful birthday gift.

Robbi N. said...

Thank you.

Robbi N. said...

I hope he liked it.