Saturday, September 11, 2010

Busy Busy

This time every year, I feel a sense of urgency. The first paper should be coming in fairly soon, or perhaps, sometimes, it is already upon me. At the same time, as a member of the choir, I must spend whole days singing and evenings practicing, leaving much less time than usual for grading papers and preparing classes.
Logically speaking, I should feel much less urgency than in the past 5 years, since my parents no longer need to be tended to. I can deal with my personal responsibilities every day, and need not drop everything and rush over to their house to take them to the doctors, the department store, or the farmer's market. But most of the time, I do not feel this difference. It seems I have settled back into my own life as if I had never left it, had never been called upon to live three lives at once.
In fact, in the past couple of days, I feel exhausted. Yesterday,as I rushed through the last of the study questions for the MW class, I could barely see, so tired were my faculties. Perhaps I am catching whatever bug seems to be going around at the moment. I have not been able to go to yoga most days this week, though I did practice every day but yesterday at home, and that might have something to do with it as well. The fact that I felt better after Bob's class this morning suggests that theory may be true.
This coming week, I hope I can go to more yoga, get more rest, relax a bit before Friday night, the coming of the spiritually demanding holiday of Yom Kippur.

No comments: