Monday, September 27, 2010

Foucault

This week I will start teaching pieces from Foucault's Discipline and Punish. Though it is perfect for my purposes, illuminating things we had discussed and will discuss relating to punishment and criminality. I worried over whether I should try to teach it, considering how slow the going I found it myself. But I decided, with the encouragement of my peers, some of whom had already taught it to community college students, to give it a try. So I dissected it to the 9th degree, got a graphic explanation of the work (a sort of Foucault for dummies), and will launch into the unknown later this week. Meanwhile, in my usual seat-of-the-pants way, I am teaching myself at the same time I teach the students.

2 comments:

Lou said...

Hope this lesson gets off to a good start.

Robbi N. said...

Thanks Lou. Sometimes it flops, sometimes it soars. You know what I mean. I live to take such chances.