Saturday, September 18, 2010

Yom Kippur

Today is Yom Kippur. I will soon go over to synagogue for the marathon day of meditation and reflection I annually enjoy/endure. I love singing, and being with my community, but I get pretty hungry and thirsty, like everyone else.
This year is different because I don't feel so well. It seems, ironically, that I have a bit of a stomach bug. It's just as well I'm not eating. I have no fever, runny nose, or any other symptoms, so I think it's okay that I go. I'll refrain from hugging and kissing people though.
Last night was interesting because the rabbi made his sermon up of the stories of personal growth and reflection that many of us sent him. My story was in there too, anonymously, from the piece I wrote, "Growing Up Me," about cleaning out my parents' house in Philadelphia.

No comments: