Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Fruits of a sleepless morning

This morning, rather than stomach pains or a yowling Whistler, a poem shook me awake, at about 4 AM, inspired by Reb's (and Robert Frost's) musings on apple picking.


Harvest
in memory of my father, Mish Kellman

Once the fields and lots of Irvine
shone with star-bright blossoms,
the sweet air heavy with twilight
heralding the trees’ full load.
And like some sort of moth
I would be drawn to stand out
in the silent grove, dizzy with perfume,
and gaze up into dark green depths
where secrets swelled. I'd peek
into the petticoats of leaves and reach
a hand to palm the nascent fruit,
mindful of proprietary farmers and their dogs.

In a month, as in a nebula light years away,
galaxies are born in bursts of brightness
no one can see, the perfect planetary globes
of lemons, grapefruits, oranges would light
our moonless evenings, smooth-skinned and bright—
the Meyer lemon, rounder than the ordinary kind;
squat mandarin; pink grapefruit,
blushing in the half light of the leaves
among the twisting rows of guardian eucalyptus.

But now, the air has lost its savor.
On nights like these, only
knot-hard stars will ripen
where the trees once stood.
No wonder that I haunt the farmer’s
markets Friday afternoons, taking in
the glistening peppers, pendulous tomatoes
like grandees, pebbled avocados,
that even I, a stranger to the soil,
now long to plant a seed.

4 comments:

Lou said...

Love the "knot-hard stars."

Robbi N. said...

Thank you. It is my first poem that really comments on the Irvine we inhabit, not the hills.

Robin said...

Like you, I really miss the beauty of the Irvine that was still here when I arrived. It has become far too urban, and I miss the open fields, too! I do love some of the great restaurants that have popped up in Irvine in recent years, but they have come at a heavy price. Reading your lovely little piece was a bittersweet experience, but I did enjoy your wonderful imagery!

Robbi N. said...

Thank you Robin. It is a trade off, isn't it?