Monday, June 7, 2010

Teaching Soothes the Heart

Today I went back to my class. I didn't know how I would fare because I sort of felt as though I had swallowed a watermelon when I walked into class this afternoon, but as soon as I started talking, it all was suddenly okay, and I was just doing what I do, as I always do it. Everything else just sort of fell away.
The students' theses and plans were due today, but I knew by looking at their homework leading up to the thesis that they were not at all ready to do this. The draft was supposed to come in tomorrow, but I didn't feel confident that they understood the book or the paper topics well enough to write a paper I would be happy with, so I backed up and retaught the homework skills from last week and went over the paper topics again, and then looked at my sample theses and plans with them.
After class, I sat down and talked to several students in the reading center (the writing center was already closed). We spent a long time discussing the book, thesis statements, and the paper topics, and then talked about my parents for a while. I came home at 4:30, opened the mailbox, and found in it my mother's checkbooks, which will never be used now. I will have to close out the account and decide how to keep the money separate from the rest of the money in my name.

8 comments:

liz said...

Robbi Dear,
your students are indeed very lucky. Now, with your parents living through you, it is the season for them, your wonderful family, your fortunate friends, and of course, your fabulous self :)

Lou said...

I am so glad that being in the classroom was restoring. You'll be dealing with money, identity, ownership, all that, for a while, but it eventually gets sorted out and life moves forward again.

Anonymous said...

I was happy, to see you today :)

Beth

Robbi N. said...

Thank you Liz, Lou. And thanks Lou for reminding me that this flurry of difficult activity will one day soon be over.

Rebel Girl said...

Glad it all worked out in the classroom. I know what you mean - sometimes you just get in there and it GOES.

Robbi N. said...

It is good to be needed, to do one's own appointed work.
I look forward to a time when I can sit down and write a poem again.

Robin said...

I am happy to hear that you are back at work, doing what you love and serving the students, who are so lucky to have you. You are a born teacher, and it is wonderful that the classroom is helping you to heal and rejuvenate in this difficult time.

Robbi N. said...

Thanks Robin.